When do you need to create a new site?
Services relating to waste and raw materials require a site number and therefore a site. Services cannot be provided without a site number.
If you only want to export waste, you can register your organisation as an exporter Register exporter service.
What information do I need to provide?
In order to request a site you need to provide certain information. The following list shows only what information is mandatory depending on the type of site.
Required fields for all site types
- Organisations responsible
- Site name
- Commune and address of the site including email address and telephone number
Required fields for waste generating companies
Required fields for waste disposal facilities
- Type of waste disposal facility
- Plot number
- Waste codes (LVA / ADWO) with disposal process and period of validity
Required fields for landfill sites, waste incinerator plants and extraction sites
- Y and X coordinates of the site
What is the process for creating a new site?
All of the information provided is checked by the relevant cantonal office. Once the information has been verified, you will be notified under Messages.
If your application is approved, you will receive a site number for the site you have created.
- Use this service to apply for a waste disposal licence according to the Ordinance on Waste Movements (OMW, SR 814.610 – for waste classified as special waste 'S' or waste subject to regulatory controls 'ak') with the corresponding codes and disposal processes contained in the waste movements lists (see the DETEC Ordinance on Lists for Handling Waste, SR 814.610.1)
- Waste codes for waste not subject to regulatory controls [nk] and waste [ak] for which there is a reporting requirement according to the Ordinance on the Avoidance and the Disposal of Waste (ADWO, SR 814.600) also need to be recorded using this service.
- If necessary, waste disposal facilities can also request site numbers be created for their customers by contacting the relevant cantonal offices directly, without their customers having to do so themselves.
- The commune DE-Büsingen lies within Switzerland's customs territory. The Canton of Schaffhausen handles site numbers for this commune.
Explanation of terms
Number issued by the cantons to companies that produce special waste and to companies that dispose of special waste and other waste subject to regulatory controls.
Waste disposal license according to the Ordinance on Waste Movements (OMW, SR 814.610)
License to dispose of special waste and other waste subject to regulatory controls that is issued by the cantonal offices.
Waste disposal facilities
Waste disposal facilities are companies that treat, process, reduce, deposit or temporarily store waste. This includes waste disposal companies according to the Ordinance on Waste Movements (OMW, SR 814.610) as well as waste disposal facilities according to the Ordinance on the Avoidance and the Disposal of Waste (ADWO, SR 814.600). It does not include extraction sites that process extracted materials (Art. 3 let. g ADWO, SR 814.600).
Waste generating companies
Companies and public authorities that consign their waste to separate facilities or third parties.
Support - Contact
Federal Office for the Environment FOEN
Tel.: +41 61 202 04 93